MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Bulldogs of Barton College 91-79 in a midweek Conference Carolinas men's basketball action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Barton 91 - Mount Olive 79
Records: Mount Olive (6-11, 5-3), Barton (14-5, 7-2)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The two teams went point-for-point through the opening ten minutes of action.
- A three-pointer from Darius Spragley gave the Trojans a slim 17-14 but the Bulldogs bit back with a 16-1 run that put Barton up 12-points, 30-18.
- Mount Olive cut Barton's lead to five points, 40-35, in the waning seconds of the first half following a three-pointer by Cameron Robinson, but a three-point basket by BC's Zach Grant gave the Bulldogs an eight-point, 43-35, lead heading into halftime.
- The Bulldogs held on to a 10-point or better lead through much of the second half.
- A three-pointer by Jonathan Mebane cut the Barton lead to single-digits, 68-59, with the clock hitting 10:22.
- Mount Olive chipped the Barton lead down to four-points, 75-71, following another three from Spragley with 6:11 remaining.
- Over the next three minutes, the teams danced with Barton taking a seven or eight-point lead only for UMO to cut down to four points again until back-to-back threes by the Bulldogs increased the score back out to 10 points, 87-77, with 2:34 remaining.
- The Trojans fouled to stop the clock but time was not on their side as the Bulldogs escaped with the 91-79 win.
- Cameron Robinson had a season-high 21 points to lead the Trojan lineup.
- Darius Spragley (17), Jamaal Matin (11), and Don Pigford (10) all joined Robinson in double figures, while Jonathan Mebane was not far behind with eight points on the night.
- Barton outrebounded Mount Olive 38-22.
Mount Olive returns to Kornegay Arena to host the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College on Saturday, January 19, at 4 P.M. Live coverage of the game will begin at approximately at 3:50 p.m.