MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Lions of Emmanuel College on Wednesday afternoon in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. UMO was led by freshman Michael Brown with 18 points.
Score: Emmanuel 70, Mount Olive 58
Records: Mount Olive (4-9, 3-1), Emmanuel (10-6, 4-0)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Emmanuel got on the scoreboard first with a layup at the 18:13 mark.
- UMO went on a 7-2 run that gave the Trojans a 7-4 lead until the 14:58 mark when Emmanuel hit a jumper to close the gap to one.
- The Lion basket spurred a 16-3 rally the had Emmanuel take a 10-point lead, 20-10, at the 7:48 mark.
- Mount Olive scored six consecutive points trailing 20-16 with just under five minutes remaining in the half.
- As the half ticked down to zero, Emmanuel held a 34-18 lead as the Lions closed out the opening half with a 14-2 rally.
- Emmanuel came out of the intermission scoring nine points to take a 22-point lead, 43-21, with 16:12 remaining on the clock.
- UMO cut the lead to 15 points, 50-35, after the Trojans went on a 14-7 rally that ended at 11:29.
- Emmanuel held on to their double-digit lead throughout the remainder of the game as the Trojans ran out of time. The Lions ended up winning by 12 points as the final score sat at 70-58.
- Only two Trojans scored in double digits, Michael Brown (18) and Jamaal Matin (13).
- Emmanuel held UMO to a 4.5% shooting percentage from beyond the arch.
Mount Olive is back in action on Saturday, January 5, for a Conference Carolinas contest against the Crusaders of North Greenville University. The Trojans and Crusaders tip off around 4 p.m. following conclusion the women's game that starts at 2 p.m. in Tigerville, S.C.