MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Bulldogs of Wingate University on Sunday afternoon in non-conference action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. UMO was led by redshirt senior Jamaal Matin with 17 points.
Score: Wingate 71, Mount Olive 60
Records: Mount Olive (4-8), Wingate (7-5)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Wingate got on the scoreboard first with a layup 44 seconds into the contest.
- Don Pigford was fouled nine seconds later and tied the score up at two on a pair of made free throws.
- Over the next three minutes, the Bulldogs went on a 9-0 run to hold an 11-2 led at the 16:02 mark.
- A Jamaal Matin jump shot with 15:38 on the clock started a slow rally from the Trojans who came back to take a 15-13 lead following a 13-2 run by UMO that was capped off by a three-pointer by Jonathan Mebane at the nine-minute mark.
- Wingate knotted up the score at 15 all but Cameron Robinson gave Mount Olive the lead following a three-pointer off the assist from Pigford.
- Pigford gave the Trojans a five-point lead after completing a layup following the pass from Alan Treakle at the 7:40 mark.
- The Bulldogs went on a 5-0 run to tie the game at 20 all as the clock approached five minutes remaining in the opening half.
- Neither team could connect for a minute and a half before Treakle scored his sole basket of the game at 3:47 to give UMO a slight edge 22-20.
- As the teams entered halftime, Mount Olive held a slight two-point lead 29-27 following a 7-7 even run by the two squads.
- Wingate opened up the second half by taking a six-point lead following a 10-2 run in the first three and a half minutes to lead 37-31 at the 17:40 mark.
- The Bulldogs opened up a 16-point lead, 49-33, after a 12-2 run with the clock ticking just under the 13-minute mark.
- UMO tried to rally back but ran out of time as WU held on to a double-digit lead through the remainder of the game to win 71-60.
- Jamaal Matin led the Trojans with 17 points and tied for the team lead in rebounds with six.
- Darius Spragley was the only other Trojan in double-digits with 13 points in the contest and tied with Matin in rebounds.
Mount Olive is back in action on Wednesday, January 2, for a Conference Carolinas contest against the Lions of Emmanuel College. The Trojans and Lions tip off around 4 p.m. following conclusion the women's game that starts at 2 p.m. at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.