WINGATE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Bulldogs of Wingate University on Friday evening in non-conference action. UMO was led by freshman Michael Brown with 15 points.
Score: Wingate 70, Mount Olive 63
Records: Mount Olive (4-7), Wingate (6-5)
Location: Wingate, N.C.
How It Happened
- Don Pigford put the Trojans on the board first with a layup 53 seconds into the contest.
- Over four minutes the Bulldogs went on a 7-0 run to take a 7-2 lead at the 15:48 mark.
- A Darius Spragley jump shot temporarily broke up the Wingate run, but the Bulldogs followed with a 6-0 run to lead 13-4 until 12:32.
- Mount Olive over the next four and a half minutes went on their own 11-4 rally to trail by two, 17-15, with eight minutes remaining in the half.
- UMO took a one-point 22-21 lead at the 4:31 mark on a layup by Michael Brown following a 7-4 run by the Trojans.
- The Bulldogs went on a 6-0 run to lead 27-22 but a three-pointer by Jonathan Mebane and a jumper by Tanner Poole tied the game up at 27 all.
- As time ticked down to zero, Wingate hit back-to-back three-pointers to enter the half with a six-point 33-27 lead.
- Mount Olive came out of the halftime break scoring five points to pull within one, 33-32, before Wingate went on a 7-0 run to hold a 40-32 lead until 15:43.
- Cameron Robinson hit a three-pointer that cut the lead to five points, 40-35, but the Bulldogs went on a 10-0 rally to lead 50-35.
- A Tanner Poole layup spurred a UMO rally that saw the Trojans climb back within five points, 55-50, following a 15-5 run that spanned five minutes.
- Wingate took a nine-point lead after a 9-5 run to hold a 64-55 lead at the four-minute mark.
- A Jamaal Matin three closed the Wingate lead following an 8-2 run by the Trojans, but Mount Olive ran out of time as Wingate hit four free throws to close out the game putting the final score at 70-63.
- Michael Brown led the Trojans with 15 points.
Mount Olive is back in action on Sunday, December 30 as they return home to take on Wingate University. The Trojans and Bulldogs square off at 2 p.m. at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.