FLORENCE, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Patriots of Francis Marion University 86-78 on Tuesday evening in a mid-week non-conference matchup in Florence, S.C. Jonathan Mebane led the Trojan offense with 18 points on the night.
Score: Francis Marion 86, Mount Olive 78
Records: Mount Olive (2-5), Francis Marion (5-1)
Location: Smith University Center | Florence, S.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans found themselves on the scoreboard first as Jamaal Matin scored a quick layup five seconds into the game.
- Don Pigford put in another layup to give UMO a 4-2 lead but then the baskets went cold for the Trojans as Francis Marion went on a 12-0 run that included three three-pointers to take a 14-4 lead at the 16:08 mark.
- Twenty seconds later, Jonathan Mebane scored his first basket of the evening connecting on a three-pointer that cut the lead to seven points, 14-7.
- The Patriots of FMU went on a 10-2 run over the next three and a half minutes taking a 15 point lead, 24-9, at the 12:20 mark.
- Over the next four minutes of play, Mount Olive chipped away at the Francis Marion lead climbing within three points, 27-24, of the Patriots as the clock approached eight minutes remaining in the half.
- UMO eventually tied the game up at 33 all following a 9-6 run that was capped off with a Cameron Robinson three-pointer off the Alan Treakle assist at 6:55 on the clock.
- FMU took off again on an 11-2 rally taking a nine-point lead over the Trojans with 3:14 to play before the halftime horn.
- Michael Brown and Mebane scored a trio of buckets in the remaining minutes to cut the Patriot lead to eight points, 49-41, at the intermission.
- FMU opened the second half with a three-pointer to take an 11 point lead, 52-41.
- Mount Olive hung in the balances as they trailed by five points, 57-52, following an 11-5 run which was capped with a Brown three-pointer.
- The Patriots scored five unanswered points as they took a 10-point, 62-52 lead into a media timeout at 11:26 on the clock.
- UMO countered with a 10-3 rally to trail by three points at the under ten media timeout (7:37). Robinson hit a three-pointer to cap the scoring drive.
- Following the timeout, Jonathan Mebane scored seven consecutive points in a 7-2 run to take the lead for the Trojans 69-67 with 5:50 remaining. The lead was the first for the Trojans since they lead in the opening minutes of the game, 4-2.
- The two squads traded baskets over the next few minutes with the Trojans taking a four-point lead at one point, but the Patriots took control with six points in a row to lead 79-74 with 1:42 remaining in regulation.
- Robinson connected with another three-pointer with 27 seconds left in the game as the Trojans trailed by four, 82-78, but time was not in the Trojans favor as the Patriots won 86-78 following four made free throws to close out the game.
- Jonathan Mebane led the Trojans with 18 points coming off the bench and playing 33 minutes.
- Four other Trojans joined Mebane in double-digits including Jamaal Matin (12), Cameron Robinson (13), Alan Treakle (16), and Michael Brown (15).
- Mount Olive was significantly outrebounded as Francis Marion led the stat line 45-27.
- The Trojans made 11-of-23 three-point attempts while the Patriots made 16-of-36 three-point shots.
The Trojans return to the friendly confines of Kornegay Arena for Conference Carolinas action against the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College. First tip between the Trojans and Bobcats is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Saturday, December 8.