WILSON, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team narrowly edged out the Hurricanes of Georgia Southwestern 59-57 on the second day of the Barton College 45-Second Classic Saturday afternoon in Wilson, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 59, Georgia Southwestern 57
Records: Georgia Southwestern (0-2), Mount Olive (1-1)
Location: Wilson Gymnasium, Wilson, N.C.
How It Happened
- The game started off slow as neither team scored in the opening 90 seconds, but UMO got on the scoreboard first as Don Pigford connected on a layup with 18:24 on the game clock.
- A Tanner Poole layup and back-to-back Alan Treakle three-pointers gave Mount Olive a five-point lead, 10-5, at the 15:18 mark.
- GSW climbed back over the next two minutes to trail by one point, 12-11, following a 6-2 run by the Canes.
- The score tied up at 13 all at the 11:30 mark of the first half following a made layup by a GSW player and the Canes took a two-point lead, 15-13, following a fast break jump shot.
- A key Jamaal Matin three-pointer gave the Trojans the lead 16-15, which remained the score for nearly two and a half minutes before the Canes took a two-point lead following a three-pointer that put the score at 18-16.
- The final eight minutes of the first half saw the score tie five times with neither team taking more than a three-point lead over the other, as the teams entered halftime with the score knotted at 29 all.
- Georgia Southwestern scored six consecutive points to take a 35-29 lead over Mount Olive before the Trojans connected on a jump shot by Cameron Robinson three and a half minutes into the second half that put UMO down four points, 35-31.
- Another Robinson jumper and a Jonathan Mebane three-pointer pulled UMO within one point, 37-36, with 15:24 left to play in the second half.
- A pair of free throws at the 14:12 mark gave GSW a 39-36 lead but a Treakle three-pointer knotted the score up at 39 all with 13:16 to play.
- The teams proceeded to trade points over the next three minutes before UMO took a five-point lead on a pair of Michael Brown free throws and a Robinson three-pointer to go ahead 49-44.
- It was almost four minutes before either team scored next, as GSW connected on one of two free throws to cut UMO's lead to 49-45.
- UMO reclaimed its six-point lead, 52-46, following a Matin free throw with 2:20 to play.
- The Trojans held an eight-point lead, 57-49, with 28 seconds to play, but let the Canes score back-to-back three-pointers to close the gap to pull within two points, 57-55.
- Robinson made both of his free throws with nine seconds on the clock but GSW got in the last points on a made jump shot as time expired to put the final score at 59-57 in UMO's favor.
- Sophomore Alan Treakle followed up his performance from yesterday with another 16 point game.
- Junior Cameron Robinson and senior Jamaal Matin each tallied double-figure performances with 12 and 10 points respectively.
The Trojans return to action on Friday, November 16, when they take to their home court at Kornegay Arena for the 53rd Annual Pickle Classic Tournament. UMO will face Clayton State on Friday at 7 p.m. and follow on Saturday with a regional showdown against the Braves of UNC Pembroke at 7 p.m.