MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell in the quarterfinals of the Conference Carolinas men's basketball tournament to the Saints of Limestone College, 81-79, on Tuesday evening at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Armond Griebe scored a career-high 21 points to lead all scorers while also tallying eight rebounds on the night.
Score: Limestone 81, Mount Olive 79
Records: Mount Olive (17-12, 12-6), Limestone (13-15, 8-10)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- It took both teams a full two minutes before a basket was made, as the Trojans' Cam Robinson made a jump shot to get the scoring going.
- An 11-4 run by the Saints gave Limestone the 11-6 lead with just under 15 minutes remaining in the half.
- UMO countered with a 7-2 run to tie the game at 13 all and took a one-point lead, 14-13, following the Jamaal Matin free throw.
- Limestone went on a 7-0 rally taking the 21-14 lead at the 10-minute mark.
- The Trojans cut the Saints eight-point lead to three, 27-24, following a Matin three-pointer.
- The half closed out on a 15-8 run led by the Saints who held the 10-point, 42-32, lead at the intermission.
- Limestone opened up a 16-point lead over the Trojans five minutes into the second half.
- UMO fought back to cut the deficit to five points, 59-54, following the Griebe layup with 10 minutes remaining on the clock.
- Over the next seven minutes, the Trojans climbed within two points, 74-72, after another Matin three-pointer.
- The Saints went on a 6-2 run holding a six-point lead, 80-74, with 37 seconds remaining.
- A key three-pointer by Matin closed the gap to three points, 80-77, with 24 seconds but the Trojans ran out of time even with Griebe's basket at the buzzer falling 81-79.
- Armond Griebe scored a career-high 21 points to lead the Trojans offense and tallied eight rebounds.
- Jamaal Matin had 13 points in the game, 12 of which came from three-pointers.
- Alan Treakle also recorded double-figures scoring 11 points shooting 4-9 from the field.
Mount Olive's season ended in the Conference Carolinas quarterfinals with an overall record of 17-12 and a record of 12-6 in conference action. The UMO Trojans will be back in action in the fall of 2018. Thank you to all the fans for their continued support of the University of Mount Olive men's basketball program.