BELMONT, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team picked up a much needed 75-71 conference win against the Crusaders of Belmont Abbey College on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas action at the Wheeler Center in Belmont, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 75, Belmont Abbey 71
Records: Mount Olive (17-8, 12-3), Belmont Abbey (10-15, 5-10)
Location: Belmont, N.C.
How It Happened
- The teams were neck and neck through the opening three minutes as the score sat tied five all at the 17:18 mark.
- Mount Olive went on an 8-2 run over the next two minutes to take a six-point lead, 13-7, that included back-to-back three-pointers by Jamaal Matin and Cameron Robinson.
- The Trojan lead grew to 10 points, 19-9 at the 13:14 mark following a three-point conversion by Armond Griebe on a layup and free throw.
- Belmont Abbey cut the Mount Olive lead to three, 19-16, following a 7-0 run by the Crusaders.
- UMO increased their lead to 11 points holding a 27-16 lead at 6:50, but BAC closed out the final minutes on a 16-5 run to enter halftime with the score knotted up at 32 all.
- The second half was a close battle as neither team held more than a three-point lead until Alan Treakle connected on a pair of free throws to give the Trojans a 64-60 lead with 4:07 to play.
- A three-pointer by Matin gave UMO a five-point lead with 1:04 remaining and the score sitting at 69-64.
- Mount Olive led by two points, 73-71, with three seconds remaining in the game when a timeout was called by BAC.
- The Crusaders fouled Treakle with one second left on the clock sending the freshman to the line for the double bonus. Treakle made both free throws to give the Trojans the 75-71 win over Belmont Abbey College.
- Junior guard Jamaal Matin led the Trojans with 22 points and five rebounds.
- Cameron Robinson and Alan Treakle both scored 13 points in the contest.
Mount Olive returns home for the remainder of the season as they start a three-game homestand on Wednesday, February 14, when they host Conference Carolinas opponent Emmanuel College. The Trojans and Lions tip-off at 7:30 p.m. following the women's game at 5:30 p.m.