MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball fell in overtime to the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College on Friday evening in Conference Carolinas action in Banner Elk, N.C.
Score: Lees-McRae 84, Mount Olive 82
Records: Mount Olive (15-6, 11-1), Lees-McRae (13-7, 7-4)
Location: Banner Elk, N.C.
How It Happened
- UMO opened the first three minutes of action going up 7-2 over LMC.
- Over the next five minutes, the Bobcats went on a 10-5 run tying the game up at 12 all with 12:49 to play in the half.
- Mount Olive proceeded to go on a 12-0 run over the next three minutes courtesy of eight Tayon Gleaves points and four points from Dominique Tham.
- Lees-McRae chipped away at the Mount Olive lead over the next three and a half minutes to take a 30-29 lead following an 18-5 Bobcat run.
- The teams traded the lead back and forth but LMC remained ahead on the scoreboard entering halftime up 41-38 over UMO.
- Mount Olive fought tooth and nail with Lees-McRae through the first four minutes of the second half trailing by one, 52-51 at the 16:13 mark.
- The Trojans cut the four-point Bobcat lead to tie the game at 58 all with 12:39 remaining.
- UMO crept by LMC taking a seven-point lead, 69-62 with nine to play.
- Lees-McRae came back to take a one-point lead, 72-71, with just under five to go, but Mount Olive scored six points taking the 77-74 lead with three minutes remaining in regulation.
- The Trojans held a 79-77 lead for nearly two minutes before Cam Robinson hit a free throw to give UMO a three-point lead but a buzzer-beater three-pointer by the Bobcats tied the game at 80 all forcing an overtime period.
- It took two minutes for either team to score the first points of overtime as Tham put UMO up 82-80, but four unanswered Lees-McRae points, including another buzzer-beater, gave the Bobcats the 84-82 victory and handing the Trojans their first conference loss.
- Jamaal Matin led the team with 22 points followed by Tham with 17 and Cameron Robinson with 16.
- The Trojan bench, which has been scoring at least half of the team's points in previous games only scored 17 at Lees-McRae contributing to the loss.
Mount Olive is back in action tomorrow, January 27, as they continue the road trip at King University. The Trojans and Tornado are set to tipoff at 4 p.m. following the women's game at 2 p.m.