MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team blew past the Warriors of Southern Wesleyan University en route to a 105-80 victory on Tuesday evening in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Six Trojans scored in double figures led by Tayon Gleaves' 16 points and Dominique Tham's 12 points and 10 rebounds.
Score: Mount Olive 105, Southern Wesleyan 80
Records: Mount Olive (15-5, 11-0), Southern Wesleyan (2-17, 1-9)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive opened the game on a 7-0 following a pair of layups and a Cameron Robinson three-pointer.
- Following a timeout, Southern Wesleyan came back to trail UMO by one point, 7-6, at the 16:32 mark.
- The Trojans went on a 10-4 run to increase their lead to seven points with 13:35 to play.
- SWU pulled within six points, 22-16, with 10 and a half minutes to play, but UMO took their first 10-point lead following a Tyler Thomas three-pointer to go up 27-16 at 9:44.
- Tayon Gleaves scored nine points during a 15-8 run by the Trojans over the next four and a half minutes to go up 18 points forcing the Southern Wesleyan timeout.
- Following the timeout, Mount Olive eclipsed the 20-point lead, 44-24, on a Dominique Tham layup at the 4:49 mark.
- UMO closed out the half on a 16-14 run holding a 22 point lead with the score sitting at 60-38 entering halftime.
- Southern Wesleyan opened the second half on an 11-10 run trailing Mount Olive 70-49 at the first media timeout.
- UMO's lead hit the 25-point mark following a dunk by Don Pigford just before the 12-minute mark putting the score at 76-51.
- Over the course of the following minute, the Trojans scored six unanswered points pushing their lead to 31 points, up 82-51 with 10:51 to play.
- With just over four and a half minutes to play, Joe Davis III hit a three-pointer, recording his first collegiate points, that pushed the score up to 96-68.
- Darius Spragley's three-pointer at 1:41 on the clock put Mount Olive in triple digits as the score read 101-76.
- The teams closed out the game each scoring four points with the score sitting at 105-80 as the final buzzer rang.
- Six Trojans scored in double-digits against Southern Wesleyan including Tayon Gleaves (16), Cameron Robinson (12), Dominique Tham (12), Darius Spragley (12), Alan Treakle (11), and Don Pigford (10).
- The Mount Olive bench contributed 72 of the teams 105 points.
- The Trojans hit 11 three-pointers compared to SWU's three.
- UMO tallied 13 more rebounds than Southern Wesleyan, 38-25, which resulted in 15 second-chance points for the Trojans.
- 25 Warrior turnovers gave UMO 39 points off turnovers, while the Trojans only gave up 17 turnovers for eight points.
- This was the second time this season that the Trojans scored 105 points. The last time was at Emmanuel in an overtime victory 105-101.
- Mount Olive is riding an eight-game win streak heading into a pair of conference matchups this weekend.
Mount Olive takes to the road again for a weekend of Conference Carolinas action at Lees-McRae and King. The Trojans will face the Bobcats of Lees-Mcrae on Friday, January 26, at 7:30 p.m. in Banner Elk, N.C. UMO will faceoff against the King Tornado the following day, January 27, at 4 p.m. at Bristol, Tenn.