MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team kept their win streak alive after defeating Belmont Abbey College 80-69 in Conference Carolinas competition on Thursday afternoon at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Dominique Tham led the Trojans with 19 points through 31 minutes played.
Score: Mount Olive 80, Belmont Abbey 69
Records: Mount Olive (13-5, 9-0), Belmont Abbey (8-10, 3-5)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive opened the game with two threes and a layup courtesy of Jamaal Matin and Dominique Tham to take an 8-2 lead with 17:30 on the clock.
- The Crusaders cut the Trojan lead to one following a 6-1 run over the following three and a half minutes.
- UMO opened the lead back up to six points, 14-8, on a three by Cameron Robinson and a layup by Don Pigford.
- BAC came back to take the first lead of the game, 15-14, since the opening basket following a 7-0 run.
- The Trojans tied and reclaimed the lead on a pair of free throws by Tham at 10:56, but the Crusaders took back the lead on a layup 20 seconds later.
- A 10-2 run by Mount Olive gave the Trojans a seven-point lead, 26-19, with 7:28 to play.
- The Trojan lead grew to 10-points, 29-19, following a three-pointer by DeAndre Barber and continued to grow with yet another three-pointer, this time by Darius Spragley to push the lead to 11.
- An 8-4 run by Belmont Abbey cut the lead back down to seven, 36-29, with 2:35 remaining in the half.
- Mount Olive countered with a 7-2 spurt to close out the final minutes of the half entering halftime with the 12-point, 43-31 lead.
- UMO came out in the second half on a 7-4 run pushing their lead to 15 as the Trojans held the 50-35 lead forcing a Belmont Abbey timeout with 14:33 on the clock.
- Belmont Abbey went on a 10-5 run over the following three minutes to trail the Trojans 55-45.
- The UMO lead was cut to single digits, 56-47, but the Trojans went on an 11-2 run capped by a three-pointer by Alan Treakle to lead by 16 points at 6:44.
- BAC countered with an 8-4 run putting the score at 71-57 with just over four minutes to play.
- Another eight-point run by the Crusaders brought the lead back to single-digits, 74-65 with 53 seconds remaining.
- Foul trouble by Belmont Abbey gave the Trojans six free points from the free throw line as UMO closed out the game picking up their sixth straight win 80-69 and keeping a perfect record against Conference Carolinas opponents 9-0.
- Dominique Tham led the Trojan offense with 19 points and nine rebounds.
- Cameron Robinson and Darius Spragley joined Tham in double-digits with 15 and 11 points respectively.
- UMO connected on 10 three-pointers throughout the night shooting 45.5% from behind the arc.
- Mount Olive went 22-29 from the charity stripe as Belmont Abbey committed 24 fouls in the game.
- The Trojan bench continues to shine as they tallied 45 points compared to the Crusaders 11.
Mount Olive is back on the court on January 20 as they hit the road for a game against Conference Carolinas opponent Erskine College. The Trojans and Flying Fleet take to the court at 4 p.m. following the women's basketball game that starts at 2 p.m.