WILSON, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team rallied from a 13-point deficit to defeat rival Barton College 76-75 on Wednesday night in Conference Carolinas action in Wilson, N.C. Senior Jamaal Matin made a jumper with just 29 seconds remaining to give UMO their third consecutive win to remain undefeated in conference action.
Score: Mount Olive 76, Barton 75
Records: Mount Olive (10-5, 6-0), Barton (9-7, 5-1)
Location: Wilson, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans held a four-point lead, 8-4, at the 16:56 mark but the Bulldogs went on an 11-2 run over the next four minutes to take a five-point lead at the 13 minute mark.
- Mount Olive cut the lead to one, 15-14, but were unable to hold off the Barton attack as the home team went on another 12-2 run taking an 11 point lead, 27-16, with 9:01 remaining in the half.
- UMO fought to stay within reach of BC and held the Bulldogs around an 11-point lead the remainder of the half trailing 47-35 at halftime.
- Mount Olive came out of the half facing an uphill battle but fought to cut the Barton lead to six, 54-48, through five and a half minutes of action (14:49).
- Barton held their double-digit lead until the 11:31 mark when Cameron Robinson made a layup to put the score at 64-55.
- Following the Robinson layup, the Trojans went on a 12-4 run trailing by one-point, 68-67, with 7:39 to play.
- The Bulldogs responded over the next four minutes by opening up an eight-point lead over the Trojans, 75-67.
- UMO scored nine unanswered points including Jamaal Matin's game-winning basket to take a one-point lead with 29 seconds remaining.
- Barton called a timeout with 8.5 seconds remaining on the clock but UMO's defense stood strong as they defeated the Bulldogs 76-75.
- Dominique Tham led all Trojan scorers with 18 points while Cameron Robinson and Darius Spragley joined him in double figures with 12 and 10 points respectively.
- Tham tallied another double-double this season pulling down 10 rebounds against the Bulldogs.
- Spragley recorded his third straight game scoring in double figures as he scored 24 vs. King, 14 vs. Lees-McRae and 10 vs. Barton.
- All 10 Trojans that played in tonight's game scored at least two points and all but one Trojan brought down at least one rebound.
- Mount Olive's bench pulled through again scoring 30 points compared to Bartons 15 points off the bench.
- The Trojans committed seven fewer turnovers in the game as the Bulldogs had 17 turnovers in the contest.
Mount Olive will return to action on January 13 as they travel to Central, S.C. to face Southern Wesleyan University in Conference Carolinas action. The Trojans and Warriors tip-off at 4 p.m. in the second game of the women's and men's doubleheader.