MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team completed the sweep of King University 96-71 Friday night in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Freshman Darius Spragley had a career night as he led all scorers with 24 points, shooting 10-13 from the field and 4 of 5 from behind the three-point arc.
Score: Mount Olive 96, King 71
Records: Mount Olive (8-5, 4-0), King (9-6, 4-1)
Location: Kornegay Arena| Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- King opened the game going up 9-3 over Mount Olive in the first 90 seconds, their largest lead of the game.
- The Trojans came back to tie the game at nine all on a lay-up by Dedric Byrd at the 15:24 mark following a 6-0 run by UMO.
- The teams traded points tying the game two more times before Mount Olive took a four-point lead, 18-14, with 11:47 to play in the half.
- Mount Olive expanded their lead to 13 points, 30-17, following a 12-3 spurt over the next three and a half minutes.
- The Tornado cut the Mount Olive 14-point lead to just six with 2:37 to play before the halftime horn putting the score at 38-32.
- UMO reclaimed their double-digit lead as they headed into halftime up 13 points holding the 45-32 lead.
- The Trojans continued their domination into the second half as they went up by 25 points, 70-45, in the first eight minutes of action.
- King cut the Mount Olive lead to 20, but the Trojans responded by going up by 31 points, 94-63, with two minutes to play.
- The Tornado closed out the game on a 9-2 run but their efforts were futile as the Trojan lead was too vast to overcome as UMO won 96-71.
- Freshman Darius Spragley had a career night as he led all scorers with 24 points shooting 10-13 from the field and 4 of 5 from behind the three-point arc.
- Don Pigford also had a career night scoring 15 points shooting 5 of 6 from the field and the free throw line.
- UMO committed just eight turnovers in the game compared to King's 20.
- Mount Olive scored 30 points off turnovers which was a contributing factor in the game.
- Five Trojans scored in double-figures including Darius Spragley, Cameron Robinson, Don Pigford, Jamaal Matin and Dominique Tham.
- UMO led the stat lines in assists (22-10), steals (7-5), blocks (5-2), points in the paint (40-33), points off turnovers (30-7) and points off the bench (64-38).
- Spragley, Cameron Robinson, and Pigford combined for 55 points coming off the bench.
Mount Olive returns to action on Saturday, January 6, as they return to Kornegay Arena for a Conference Carolinas showdown against Lees-McRae College. The Trojans and Bobcats tip-off at 7:30 p.m. following the women's game at 5:30 p.m.