WINGATE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Bulldogs of Wingate University 77-72 on Saturday afternoon in non-conference action in Wingate, N.C
Score: Wingate 77, Mount Olive 72
Records: Mount Olive (7-5, 3-0), Wingate (7-6)
Location: Wingate, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive and Wingate battled closely in the opening half as the game remained a two-point advantage for either side during the first 13 minutes of play.
- Cameron Robinson hit a jumper with 7:14 to start a small five-point run that lasted until the 3:47 mark as the Trojans led 31-27, following a Bulldog three-pointer.
- UMO held on to the lead at the half 36-33 after Cameron Robinson made a layup with 53 seconds remaining in the half.
- Wingate came out of the locker room with a hot hand as the Bulldogs opened the second half with an 8-0 run to push them in front 41-36.
- Mount Olive saw the deficit hit double figures as WU lead 59-49 at the 10:26 mark.
- The Trojans did not stand by for long as Tyler Thomas hit a jumper with 10:08 on the clock and began a 6-0 run to draw the Wingate lead back to single digits.
- Thomas' layup tied the game at 61 with 7:09, following a defensive stop on Wingate's side of the court.
- The Bulldogs took back the lead however after a three-pointer at the 4:43 mark.
- UMO battled in the final minutes closing the gap to two points, but Wingate went 6-for-6 from the free-throw line to close out the game taking a 77-72 victory.
- Four Trojans scored in double figures as Cameron Robinson (14), Tyler Thomas (14), Dominique Tham (13), and Jamaal Matin (10) led the team offensively.
- Mount Olive out-shot Wingate from the field (48.3%-44.3%) and from beyond the arch (66.7%-52.9%).
Mount Olive returns to action on Friday, January 5, as they return to Mount Olive for a Conference Carolinas showdown against King University. The Trojans and Tornado tip-off at 7:30 p.m.