MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Trojans of Virginia State University 84-71 on Tuesday evening in non-conference action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: #11 Virginia State 84, Mount Olive 71
Records: Mount Olive (7-4, 3-0), Virginia State (9-1, 1-1)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Virginia State opened the game going up 17-6 through the first six and a half minutes to hold the 11 point lead at the 13:28 mark.
- UMO came within four points of VSU as they trailed 27-23 with under seven minutes to play in the first half.
- VSU opened a 10-point lead at the 4:30 mark but UMO cut the lead to seven as the teams entered halftime sitting at 35-28.
- Virginia State quickly got back to their ten-point lead going up 42-32 through the opening three minutes.
- UMO cut the lead to five but VSU pulled ahead by 13 points, 60-47 with 7:12 to play.
- Mount Olive tried to cut into the Virginia State lead once again, but the visiting Trojans maintained a nine-point average lead through the remainder of the game to win 84-71.
- Darius Spragley led UMO with 13 points and five rebounds.
- Three other Trojans, Jamaal Matin, Tayon Gleaves and Emmanuel Patton all recorded double-digit points.
- UMO lost the battle in rebounds (45-26), points in the paint (50-32), and second-chance points (15-0).
Mount Olive returns to action on Saturday, December 30, as they travel to Wingate, N.C. to face the Bulldogs of Wingate University. Tip-off between the Trojans and the Bulldogs is set for 2 p.m.