MURFREESBORO, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team defeated Chowan University 65-64 as Jamaal Matin hit a late game three to give the Trojans the one-point win in non-conference action on Wednesday evening in Murfreesboro, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 65, Chowan 64
Records: Mount Olive (5-2, 1-0), Chowan (4-4, 0-0)
Location: Murfreesboro, N.C.
How It Happened
- The game opened with Chowan going up 7-2 over Mount Olive through the first five minutes of action.
- Tayon Gleaves put up back-to-back shots scoring five points in 20 seconds to tie the game at nine all with 11:19 to play.
- Over the next four minutes, CU outscored UMO 11-2 taking a nine-point lead, 20-11.
- A 15-7 run by the Hawks put them up 33-19 with 2:30 to play in the half.
- The Trojans closed out the half on an 8-4 run to trail 37-27 heading into halftime.
- UMO came out of the intermission going on a 7-4 run pulling with five points of CU, 39-34 (15:58).
- An Alan Treakle layup capped an 8-5 run by the Trojans as the Hawks led 46-41 at the 12:21 mark.
- Neither team scored for two minutes until the Hawks made a layup taking a seven-point lead.
- Mount Olive closed the gap to three, trailing 52-49 at 7:34, following a three by Tyler Thomas off the Treakle assist.
- Chowan went on a 7-2 run taking the nine-point lead, 60-51, with three and a half to play.
- Three straight three-pointers by Tyler Thomas in a 74-second window tied the game at 62 all with less than a minute remaining in regulation.
- The Hawks went ahead on a layup, but a three-pointer by Jamaal Matin following the Trojan timeout gave Mount Olive the one point lead to win the game 65-64.
- Tyler Thomas tied his career-high and led all Trojans with 16 points going 5-11 from the field and making five three-pointers on the night.
- Freshman Alan Treakle put up 12 points as the only other Trojan in double-digits.
- Eight different athletes scored for the Trojans on the evening.
- The Trojans scored 12 three-pointers; seven in the second half to come-from-behind and win in Murfreesboro.
Mount Olive returns home on Friday, December 8, as they host Erskine in Conference Carolinas competition. Tip-off between the Trojans and the Flying Fleet is set for 7 p.m. at Kornegay Arena.