FRANKLIN SPRINGS, GA. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team opened Conference Carolinas competition with a double overtime 105-101 win on the road against the Lions of Emmanuel College in Franklin Springs, Georgia on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Mount Olive 105, Emmanuel 101
Records: Mount Olive (4-2, 1-0), Emmanuel (3-3, 1-1)
Location: Franklin Springs, Ga.
How It Happened
- The teams started the game off going back and forth through the first five minutes until Emmanuel gained a slight five-point lead, 10-5, at the 15-minute mark.
- The Trojans pulled within a point of the Lions just before the 10-minute mark, 16-15, but a 12-4 run by EC gave them a nine-point lead with 7:16 to play in the half.
- Mount Olive countered with a 14-6 rally to come within one-point, 34-33, at 2:31 on the clock following a Cameron Robinson three-pointer.
- Emmanuel closed out the half scoring nine points to take a 43-37 lead into the intermission.
- UMO took their first lead of the game since the opening minutes of the first half going up 44-43 on a three-pointer by Dominique Tham.
- A battle for the lead ensued as the teams traded control until the Trojans took a four-point lead, 55-51, at the 12:20 mark in the second half.
- Following a 16-12 run by UMO, the Trojans lead sat at eight, 71-63, with seven minutes to play in regulation.
- The Trojans saw their lead cut to three, 80-77, with three and a half to play as the Lions went on a 14-9 rally.
- Several free throws by the Lions pulled them back into the game and a dunk gave them the 83-82 lead with 43 seconds remaining but a made free throw by Tyler Thomas with 26 seconds on the clock tied the game forcing an overtime period.
- The teams went point for point through the first overtime period to remain tied, 93 all, after the first five minute.
- Mount Olive pushed ahead scoring 12 points to the Lions eight in the second overtime to emerge victorious 105-101.
- Cameron Robinson led the Trojans with a career-high 25 points.
- Dominique Tham also had a career night scoring 24 points as well as a team and career-high 15 rebounds, including 10 defensive boards.
- UMO scored over 100 points for the first time since February 9, 2016, in the 100-79 win over Lees-McRae at Kornegay Arena.
Mount Olive continues the season with their third consecutive road game as they travel to Chowan University on Wednesday, December 6. The Trojans and the Hawks will tip off at 7:30 p.m. in Murfreesboro, N.C.