PEMBROKE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the No.22 UNC Pembroke Braves 90-72 on Monday night in non-conference action in Pembroke, N.C.
Score: No. 22 UNC Pembroke 90, Mount Olive 72
Records: Mount Olive (3-2), No. 22 UNC Pembroke (4-1)
Location: Lumbee Guaranty Bank Court | Pembroke, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Braves of UNCP opened up a nine-point lead in the first three minutes forcing the Trojans to call a timeout (17:12).
- A three-pointer by Jamaal Matin capped a 7-2 run for the Trojans as they trailed by four at the 14:25 mark.
- Don Pigford gave Mount Olive their first lead of the game, 16-15, as he converted on a three-point opportunity tying the game at 15 all on an alley-oop and making his free throw following the media timeout at 11:48.
- The teams were neck and neck as the score sat at 22-20 in the favor of UNCP at the 7:58 mark of the first half.
- The Trojans went on a 9-5 run in a 90-second span, following three consecutive threes by Cameron Robinson, Matin and Tayon Gleaves, to cut the UNCP lead to one, 30-29.
- Gleaves ended a 10-4 run by the Braves as he converted all three attempts at the free line to cut the UNCP lead to four, 40-36, with just under three to play.
- Pembroke went on a 5-2 run in the final 90 seconds of the half to hold a seven-point lead at the half, 47-40.
- UNCP out rebounded UMO in the first half bringing down 21 boards to the Trojans nine.
- The Trojans faced foul trouble in the first half with a combined 16 team fouls in the opening 20 minutes.
- UNC Pembroke opened up their largest lead of the game as they scored six straight points to go up by 11 over the Trojans.
- Armond Griebe ended a scoring drought of over five minutes for the Trojans at the 14:05 mark to put the score at 55-44.
- The Braves continued to grow their lead going up by 20, 67-47, over the Trojans following the foul out by Griebe with nine and a half to play.
- UMO cut the Braves lead to 15, 70-65, on a three by Gleaves with just over four to play, but UNC Pembroke's lead was too great as they closed out the remaining minutes on a 20-7 run to win 90-72.
- A combined 34 fouls on the Trojans allowed UNCP to take 44 free throws as the team made 33 of them.
- Three Trojans scored in double digits including Jamaal Matin (17), Tayon Gleaves (15) and Cameron Robinson (16).
- UMO shot 81.8% from the charity stripe making 9-of-11 attempts.
Mount Olive returns to action on Saturday, December 2, as the Trojans travel to Franklin Springs, Georgia to face the Lions of Emmanuel College at 4 p.m.