MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive defeated Saint Augustine's University 99-84 in men's basketball non-conference action during the 52nd Annual Mount Olive Pickle Classic on Friday evening at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 99, Saint Augustine's 84
Records: Mount Olive (2-1), Saint Augustine's (0-3)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The game started off with a technical foul assigned to the Saint Augustine bench for uniform violations and Tayon Gleaves scored the first point of the game.
- UMO scored on an Armond Griebe layup but the Falcons came back to score five unanswered points taking the 5-3 lead with 18:35 on the clock.
- The squads traded points over the next three minutes until the Trojans went up by five 14-9 on a Cameron Robinson three-pointer at 15:22.
- SAU pulled within one, 16-15, after four consecutive free throws but UMO scored back-to-back threes from Cameron Robinson and Gleaves to lead 22-15 with 12:05 to play.
- The Falcons went on a 7-2 run pulling back within two before the Trojans went on their own 6-0 run to put the lead at eight points, 30-22.
- A 9-8 run by Saint Aug. was highlighted by four threes, two by each team, to put the score at 38-31 with the Trojans in the lead.
- Mount Olive went on an eight-point run scoring six from the free throw line leading 46-33 with 2:46 in the half.
- In the final minutes of the half, the Falcons outscored the Trojans 6-5 as UMO held the 51-39 lead entering the half.
- The Trojans opened the second half on a 10-4 run going up 61-43 with 17:38 on the clock.
- A 12-5 Falcon run over the next five minutes was ended at 12:11 when Dominique Tham made a jump shot that spurred 12-point run by the Trojans to put the score a 79-60 at 8:41.
- Mount Olive put together another 12-5 run to increase their lead to 26-points, 91-65 with 6:25 remaining.
- Over the next six minutes, the Falcons outscored the Trojans 19-8 to put the final score at 99-84 with the Trojans picking up the win in their home opener.
- Tayon Gleaves set a new career-high with 27 points shooting 10-16 from the field and 5-of-9 from the free throw line. Gleaves also led the team in steals with six, also a new career-high.
- Cameron Robinson went 7-of-14 from the field and 4-of-8 from the beyond the three for 19 total points.
- Armond Griebe and Don Pigford tied for the lead in rebounds with seven in the game.
- Don Pigford set new career highs with seven rebounds and four points completing 2-of-3 shots from the field.
- Four Trojans, Tayon Gleaves, Dominique Tham, Cameron Robinson and Darius Spragley, scored double-digits in the game.
- The Trojans scored six three-pointers in the first half as they held the 51-39 lead at halftime.
UMO competes again tomorrow Nov. 18, at 7 p.m. on day two of the 52nd Annual Mount Olive Pickle Classic. The Trojans will face off against the Panthers of Virginia Union University.