WILSON, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to Augusta University 76-75 in their season opener at the Barton College 45-Second Classic Friday night in Wilson, N.C.
Score: Augusta 76, Mount Olive 75
Records: Augusta (1-0), Mount Olive (0-1)
Location: Wilson Gymnasium, Wilson, N.C.
How It Happened
- Augusta got on the board first and held the 2-0 lead until the 18:30 mark when Dominique Tham drained a three to give Mount Olive the 3-2 lead.
- The Trojans took a four-point, 8-4, lead following back-to-back baskets by Dedric Byrd who scored five points in a five-second window.
- The two squads remained close in score after the Jaguars tied the game twice before Alan Treakle scored a three to give UMO the 13-10 lead.
- Neither team scored for a full two minutes as the teams traded possessions until Augusta took the one-point lead, 14-13, with 12:08 remaining.
- UMO hit their fourth three of the half courtesy of Cameron Robinson to take the 16-14 lead.
- After another tie, the Trojans hit another three from Tham to take a 19-16 lead that they held for the next minute of play.
- The Jags went on an 8-0 run taking their first lead since the 12:08 mark.
- Mount Olive went their own 6-2 run pulling within a point of Augusta 26-25 with four and a half to play.
- UMO tied the game at 30 on a Tayon Gleaves three-pointer off the Cam Robinson assist.
- Both teams traded baskets with the score tying for the third time following a pair of Jamaal Matin free throws to take both teams into halftime knotted up at 38.
- Augusta came out of halftime on a 7-0 run in the first two minutes to take the 45-38 lead.
- UMO broke up the AU run with a couple of points from the free throw line but allowed the Jags to hold an eight-point lead, 48-40, for almost three full minutes.
- Cameron Robinson ended the UMO drought by draining the teams' 10th three-pointer of the night to cut the Jaguars lead to five.
- Tyler Thomas cut the lead even further on a layup putting the score at 48-45.
- Tanner Poole got the Trojans within two, 51-49, following a four-point run on two free throws and a layup.
- Over the next seven minutes, the Trojans played from behind as they battled to stay within a six-point window.
- Mount Olive tied the game up at 68 all with 6:04 remaining as Tham earned three-points the hard way off the layup and a foul.
- The teams battled for the lead in the following minutes until Augusta went up by four, 74-70, with 3:18 to go.
- UMO hit a three and two free throws to take the one-point lead 75-74 with 43 seconds to play.
- The Jags made a jump shot with 25 seconds to play that gave them the 76-75 lead and win as UMO missed on their last shot of the game.
- Cameron Robinson led the Trojans with 15 points going 3-4 from behind the three-point arch and 6-10 from the field.
- Dominique Tham was perfect behind the arch scoring two threes to contribute to his 11 points.
- The Trojans scored nine three-pointers in the first half for 27 of their 38 points.
- UMO was 10-11 from the charity stripe, including a perfect 7-7 in the second half, as they shot 90.1% on the night.
- The Trojans outrebounded the Jaguars 30-28 as Tham led the Green & Black with seven.
The Trojans will take to the court tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 11, on day two of the Barton College 45-Second Classic. Mount Olive will face off against Young Harris with a tip time of 11 a.m.