Wilson, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team saw its season come to a close in an 84-68 loss to Barton College in the Conference Carolinas Men's Basketball Tournament quarterfinals on Tuesday night in Wilson, N.C.
Score: Barton 84, Mount Olive 68
Records: Barton (20-9), Mount Olive (9-20)
Location: Wilson Gym, Wilson, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans found themselves in an early 18-3 hole with 15:50 left in the opening half as Barton opened the contest with a hot start.
- Mount Olive responded with a 7-0 run, capped off by a layup by freshman Armond Griebe that got the Trojans within eight at 18-10 with 14:30 remaining on the clock in the opening period.
- Showing resilience, UMO fought back to within four at 29-25 on a layup by freshman Saiquan Jamison with 5:18 left in the period.
- Barton took control of the final five minutes of the first half as the Bulldogs increased their lead to 13 at 43-30 heading into the halftime break.
- The Bulldogs expanded their lead to its largest point at 61-40 with 14:50 remaining in the second half.
- A three by freshman Cameron Robinson trimmed Barton's advantage back to 13 at 65-52 with 10:00 left to play in the contest.
- Barton quickly pushed its lead back to 20 at 76-56 with 6:54 remaining in the game as the Bulldogs earned the 84-68 win.
- Sophomore Jamaal Matin led the Trojans with 23 points, six rebounds, four assists, four blocks, and three steals in the loss.
- Also in double figures for UMO were Robinson (17 points) and fellow freshman Tyler Thomas (10 points).
- UMO was outshot by Barton, 56.5% to 49.1%, and was outrebounded by the Bulldogs, 36-24.
The loss ends the Trojans' season as UMO concludes the year with a 9-20 overall record.