Bristol, Tenn. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team topped King University, 75-72, in overtime on Saturday evening in Bristol, Tennessee.
Score: Mount Olive 75, King 72
Records: Mount Olive (7-17, 6-10 CC), King (14-11, 11-6 CC)
Location: Student Center Complex, Bristol, Tennessee
How It Happened
- Both teams struggled to get going offensively as King recorded the first five points of the contest, but UMO responded with five of its own to tie the contest at five with 14:17 left in the opening half.
- Neither side could grab a lead larger than four in the final 15 minutes of the half as the opening period featured six ties and seven lead changes.
- Just before the buzzer, a layup by junior DeAndre Barber broke the tie and gave the Trojans a 29-27 lead at the halftime break.
- A free throw by junior Tayon Gleaves and a jumper by freshman Cameron Robinson increased UMO's advantage to 32-27 just 59 seconds into the second half.
- King looked poised to retake the lead from the Trojans on multiple occasions but UMO responded to each challenge throughout the mid portion of the half.
- The Tornado gained its first lead since the opening half at 58-57 on a three-pointer by Hunter Leveau with 4:40 remaining on the clock.
- A pair of Gleaves free throws and a layup by freshman Saiquan Jamison pushed Mount Olive back in front 61-58 with 3:43 left.
- King responded with back-to-back threes by Leveau to give the Tornado back the lead at 64-61.
- As was the case much of the night, UMO had an answer as sophomore Jamaal Matin tipped-in a missed jumper and knocked down a free throw and Gleaves added a bucket to give the Trojans a 66-64 advantage with just 1:11 remaining.
- King tied the contest at 66 just 11 seconds later on a layup and both teams had chances to win the game in the final minute but neither could capitalize.
- The Tornado took the lead to open the overtime period, but a pair of Barber free throws tied the game again at 68 just 59 seconds into overtime.
- Barber gave the Trojans the 70-68 lead on a jumper with 3:12 remaining.
- The Trojans and Tornado traded baskets over the next two minutes to tie the game at 72.
- With just 1:01 left in overtime, Matin drained the game-winning three-pointer in UMO's 75-72 victory.
- Five Trojans finished in double figures with Robinson leading the way with 16 points.
- Gleaves added 14 points, while Matin chipped in 12, Barber contributed 11, and freshman Tyler Thomas scored 10 off the bench.
- Jamison recorded a career-high 19 rebounds in the win, the most by a Trojan since 2010.
- The Trojans outshot King, 47.5% to 44.3%, and won the rebounding battle over the Tornado, 38-27.
Mount Olive travels to Wilson, North Carolina on Wednesday for a 7:30 p.m. showdown with Barton College.