Belmont, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team dropped a 76-62 game to Belmont Abbey in Conference Carolinas action on Wednesday evening in Belmont, N.C.
Score: Belmont Abbey 76, Mount Olive 62
Records: Belmont Abbey (11-12, 7-8 CC), Mount Olive (6-17, 5-10 CC)
Location: Wheeler Center, Belmont, N.C.
How It Happened
- The opening 10 minutes of the contest were played equally as neither team could get much going offensively as a three-pointer by freshman Cameron Robinson got the Trojans within one at 13-12 with 10:56 left in the half.
- UMO took a 22-21 lead on a layup by junior DeAndre Barber with 2:45 left in the half, but Belmont Abbey responded with a 4-0 run to retake the lead at the break.
- UMO answered the Crusaders' run with a 4-0 run of its own on a pair of buckets by freshman Saiquan Jamison that gave the lead back to the Trojans at 26-25.
- A three by freshman Tyler Thomas tied the contest at 33 with 16:24 remaining in the game, which Belmont Abbey immediately responded to with an 8-0 run to take a 41-33 lead with 13:40 left on the clock.
- Once again, it was Jamison with a personal 3-0 run to push UMO back within five at 41-36, but the Crusaders again had an answer, manufacturing another 8-0 run to increase their advantage to 49-36 with 10:31 left to play.
- After trailing by as many as 13, UMO snuck back within five late as layup by junior Tayon Gleaves cut the Trojans' deficit to just 60-55 with 3:55 remaining.
- Over the final three minutes, Mount Olive could draw no closer than five as Belmont Abbey pulled away late in the Crusaders' 76-62 win.
- Gleaves led all scorers with 21 points in the loss.
- Adding a double-double for UMO was Jamison, who tallied 15 points and 13 boards for the freshman's third collegiate double-double.
- UMO was outshot by Belmont Abbey, 49.1% to 32.8%, and was outrebounded by the Crusaders, 41-37.
Mount Olive travels to Bristol, Tennessee to take on King University on Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m.