Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team's late comeback fell short in a 64-61 loss to Belmont Abbey in Conference Carolinas action on Wednesday night in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Belmont Abbey 64, Mount Olive 61
Records: Belmont Abbey (10-11, 6-7 CC), Mount Olive (6-16, 5-9 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive N.C.
How It Happened
- UMO sophomore Jamaal Matin recorded eight of the Trojans' first 10 points as Mount Olive jumped out to a 10-6 lead with 16:37 left in the first half.
- Belmont Abbey answered with a 9-0 run that turned the lead back over to the Crusaders at 15-10 with 12:02 remaining in the opening period.
- The Trojans got back within two on a three-pointer by freshman Tyler Thomas that cut Belmont Abbey's advantage to 23-21 with just over seven minutes left on the clock.
- The Crusaders' lead ballooned to seven at 29-22, but a 5-0 Trojan run to end the half capped off by a three at the buzzer by junior DeAndre Barber sent UMO to the half trailing by just one at 31-30.
- UMO regained the lead to open the half on a Matin three, but the Crusaders responded with a 12-0 run to pull out to a 42-33 advantage with 14:38 left in the contest.
- The lead grew as large as 13 for Belmont Abbey as UMO was forced to dig itself out of a 49-36 hole with 12:50 left on the clock.
- Within eight at 61-53 with 5:55 to play, UMO knocked down a pair of threes to pull within a pair with 3:30 remaining in the game.
- After Belmont Abbey split a pair at the line with 11 seconds left, UMO had possession trailing 64-61.
- Coming out of the timeout, the Trojans gathered the ball at the top of the key and fired a three to tie that missed its mark as the buzzer sounded.
- Matin led the Trojans with 19 points, adding eight boards, four assists, three steals, and three blocks.
- Also in double figures for UMO were Thomas (14 points) and junior Tayon Gleaves (13 points).
- UMO was outshot by Belmont Abbey, 43.4% to 37%, and was outrebounded by the Crusaders, 38-31.
Mount Olive will meet a set of familiar faces in its next action as UMO travels to face Belmont Abbey on February 8 at 7:30 p.m. in Belmont, N.C.