Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team dropped an 89-80 contest to Pfeiffer University on Piggly Wiggly Blackout Night in Kornegay Arena on Saturday evening in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Pfeiffer 89, Mount Olive 80
Records: Mount Olive (4-14, 3-7 CC), Pfeiffer (15-3, 8-3 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The early portions of the contest were played at a frenetic pace as UMO jumped out to a 10-6 lead on a three-pointer by junior Tayon Gleaves with 14:47 left in the half.
- Pfeiffer grabbed the lead twice over the next few minutes, but the Trojans utilized an 11-0 run to grab a 24-14 lead over the Falcons with 8:54 remaining on the clock.
- A personal 8-0 run by Gleaves interrupted by a Pfeiffer layup increased the Trojans advantage to 30-16 with 7:28 left in the period.
- The Falcons manufactured a 24-14 run to end the half that cut Pfeiffer's deficit to just four at 44-40 heading into the break.
- An old-fashioned three-point play by Pfeiffer just 10 seconds into the half cut UMO's lead to one at 44-43 but the Trojans responded with a 10-0 run that pushed Mount Olive's lead to 54-43 with 17:09 left in the half.
- Pfeiffer began to chip away at the Trojans lead eventually using a 13-0 run to grab a 66-61 lead with 9:38 remaining on the clock.
- The Trojans got back within a point on a three by freshman Cameron Robinson that cut Pfeiffer's lead to 70-69 with 6:45 left to play.
- UMO could draw no closer over the final 6:45 as Pfeiffer went 2-4 from the field and 11-16 from the charity stripe down the stretch to grab the 89-80 victory.
- Gleaves led all scorers with 26 points on 7-12 shooting from the field going 5-7 from beyond the arc and a perfect 7-7 from the free throw line.
- Also finishing in double figures were freshman Cameron Robinson (18) and sophomore Jamaal Matin (17).
- The Trojans held Pfeiffer and the nation's highest scoring offense (106.8 points per game) to 89 points in the loss.
- The Falcons outshot UMO, 48.3% to 46.6%, while the Trojans outrebounded Pfeiffer, 36-35.
Mount Olive hits the road for its next three contests starting with a showdown with Erskine on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Due West, S.C.