Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team dropped a 73-70 contest to Lees-McRae College on Wednesday night in Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Lees-McRae 73, Mount Olive 70
Records: Mount Olive (2-13, 1-6 CC), Lees-McRae (4-11, 3-4 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans sprinted out of the gate taking a 20-12 lead on a layup by freshman Juwan Smith with 12:17 left on the clock.
- Mount Olive held onto, and even increased, its lead through the mid-portion of the half before Lees-McRae began to chip away with a 6-2 run ending with 6:51 remaining in the half, cutting UMO's lead to 33-24.
- A further 5-2 run by the Bobcats in the final 1:09 of the frame cut UMO's lead to just 39-35 at the halftime break.
- The Trojans watched their lead disintegrate quickly as Lees-McRae tied the contest at 39 with just 52 seconds gone by in the half with a 4-0 run.
- UMO showed some resiliency as the Trojans worked their lead back to eight on a pair of free throws by junior Tayon Gleaves that increased Mount Olive's advantage to 57-49 with 11:55 left in the game.
- Using a 16-4 run, Lees-McRae took a 65-61 lead with 7:45 remaining to give the Bobcats their largest lead of the game.
- With 1:46 left on the clock, freshman Cameron Robinson knocked down a three-pointer to cut the Bobcats' lead to 73-70.
- UMO found itself with the ball down 73-70 with 11 seconds left to play but could not get a three at the buzzer to fall in the Trojans' loss.
- Robinson led the Trojans with 17 points in the contest.
- Also finishing in double figures were sophomore Jamaal Matin (12), junior Tayon Gleaves (11), and freshman Tyler Thomas (10).
- Freshman Saiquan Jamison grabbed a career-high 14 rebounds in the game.
- Lees-McRae outshot UMO, 55.3% to 49%.
- Donte Falls led the Bobcats with 17 points.
Mount Olive will remain home for a Conference Carolinas matchup with Emmanuel College (Ga.) on January 14 at 4 p.m. inside Kornegay Arena.