Mount Olive, N.C. – On a wintry Saturday afternoon, the University of Mount Olive men's basketball team topped Southern Wesleyan University, 61-54, in Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 61 Southern Wesleyan 54
Records: Mount Olive (2-12, 1-5 CC), Southern Wesleyan (2-12, 1-5 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Southern Wesleyan jumped out to an early 7-5 lead just past the first media timeout as the Warriors' Justice McCullough recorded the first seven points for SWU.
- Fighting back, UMO tied the contest at 12 on a layup by Emmanuel Patton with 10:40 remaining on the clock.
- The Trojans took a three-point lead at 15-12 on a three-pointer by Tayon Gleaves, but SWU quickly responded and retook the lead at 20-17 with 5:43 remaining in the half.
- SWU slowly increased its advantage nearing the half as the Warriors grabbed a 27-23 lead at the break.
- The Trojans sprinted out of the gate in the second period, utilizing an 8-0 run to open the half and take a 31-27 lead at the 17:12 mark.
- Southern Wesleyan attempted to make multiple runs, tying the game twice, but both instances UMO responded with a much-needed basket.
- After tying the game a final time at 38-38 with 8:09 left in the game, UMO used a 9-3 run capped off by a three-pointer by Jamaal Matin to give the Trojans a 47-41 advantage with 6:04 remaining.
- Down the stretch, SWU threatened twice more, cutting the Trojans' lead to a single possession twice, but each time UMO's Tayon Gleaves responded to increase Mount Olive's advantage.
- In the first instance, SWU's De'Quan Weldon knocked down a layup and the subsequent free throw to trim UMO's lead to 52-50 with 2:19 left on the clock before Gleaves responded with a three to increase the Trojans' lead to 55-50.
- The second time, the Warriors' Darius Sharpe made a pair of free throws to cut SWU's deficit to three at 55-52 with just 51 seconds left that Gleaves followed with two free throws of his own to secure the 61-54 victory.
- Gleaves led the Trojans for the second-straight outing with 15 points while adding six assists and five boards.
- Matin added 13 points and nine rebounds while Patton chipped in 12 points to both finish in double figures.
- UMO was outrebounded by SWU, 45-32, but the Trojans forced Southern Wesleyan into 23 turnovers to just seven for Mount Olive.
- The temperature outside Kornegay Arena and the shooting inside were both frigid as UMO shot 30.6% (19-62) to SWU's 40.8% (20-49) while both teams combined to shoot 8-37 (21.6%) from three.
Mount Olive continues its homestand on Wednesday with a matchup with Lees-McRae College at 7:30 p.m. in Kornegay Arena.