Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to Wingate University 84-61 in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Wingate 84, Mount Olive 61
Records: Wingate (5-7, 2-4 SAC), Mount Olive (1-11, 0-4 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Both teams struggled to get going offensively with the first basket coming 2:29 into the contest on a Wingate three-pointer.
- A pair of threes by Wingate's Mike Baez gave the Bulldog's a 9-0 advantage out of the gate and forced a UMO timeout with 15:33 left in the first half.
- The Trojans cut into the deficit midway through the half using a three by freshman Cameron Robinson to trim Wingate's advantage to 15-9 with 13:13 left in the half.
- Mount Olive tried to continue to chip away at the Bulldog's lead, but were unable to as Wingate went to the break holding a 45-26 advantage.
- Junior Tayon Gleaves splashed home a three to cut Wingate's lead back to 19 just 2:31 into the second half, but Wingate quickly responded and expanded its lead to 24 at 55-31.
- The Trojans got back within 22 on a three-pointer by freshman Tyler Thomas with 12:06 left to play but the Bulldogs once again had the answer with a bucket and free throw to retake a 25 point lead at 66-41 on their way to the 84-61 win.
- Robinson led UMO with 21 points on 7-15 shooting from the field.
- Gleaves added 14 points for the Trojans.
- Stuffing the stat sheet was Thomas who tallied 11 points, nine boards, six assists, and five steals.
- UMO shot 37.5% (21-56) from the field while Wingate shot 52.5% (31-59).
- Wingate's Baez led the Bulldogs with 21 points, scoring 19 in the first half.
The Trojans open the new year with a Conference Carolinas clash with Limestone College on Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Kornegay Arena.