Mount Olive, N.C – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to UNC Pembroke, 79-71, in Kornegay Arena on Wednesday night in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: UNC Pembroke 79, Mount Olive 71
Records: UNC Pembroke (6-2, 0-0 PBC), Mount Olive (1-9, 0-4 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- UNCP jumped out to a quick 10-0 lead just 2:45 into the contest forcing a Trojan timeout.
- Out of the timeout, UMO assembled a 14-3 lead to take a 14-13 advantage with 12:01 left in the first half.
- The final 12 minutes featured four lead changes and five ties as the half ended with the Trojans and Braves locked at 39.
- The first six minutes of the second half looked much like the end of the first as the lead bounced back-and-forth as UMO and UNCP sat tied at 52 with 13:39 left in the game.
- A quick 10-0 run by the Braves gave UNCP a 62-52 with 10:29 remaining to play, a lead UNCP never relinquished.
- With 5:09 left in the contest, a layup by junior Tayon Gleaves drew the Trojans within two at 66-64, but UNCP promptly responded with a 6-0 run to seal the victory for the Braves.
- Gleaves poured in 19 points to lead UMO, adding five assists to aid the Trojans' effort.
- Chipping in 14 points and four assists for Mount Olive was junior DeAndre Barber.
- Freshman Saiquan Jamison narrowly missed his second collegiate double-double with eight points and 12 boards.
- UMO shot a scorching 62.5% (15-24) from the field in the first half, but dropped to 36.4% (12-33) in the second half as the Trojans shot 47.4% (27-57) for the game to UNCP's 49.2% (29-59).
- Mount Olive outrebounded UNCP, 32-31.
Mount Olive continues non-conference play with a trip north to face Virginia State University on Sunday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. in Petersburg, Virginia.