Mount Olive, N.C. – On Homecoming weekend, the University of Mount Olive men's basketball team dropped a 79-67 contest to Saint Augustine's University in the final game of the 51st Annual Mt. Olive Pickle Classic in front of a standing room only crowd at Kornegay Arena.
Score: Saint Augustine's 79, Mount Olive 67
Records: Saint Augustine's (2-2), Mount Olive (1-3)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Saint Augustine's came out as the aggressor in the first five minutes of the contest taking a 12-5 lead just after the under 15 media timeout.
- Over the next three minutes, UMO used a 7-0 run fueled by five points by freshman Cameron Robinson to tie the game at 12-12.
- Momentum swung wildly in the final ten minutes of the half, as the lead switched four times down the stretch with UMO taking a 35-32 lead at the break.
- The Falcons sprinted out of the gate to start the second half, regaining the lead at 37-35 just 1:12 into the second frame.
- Saint Augustine's would never relinquish that lead, increasing it to its largest point at 76-61 with just over a minute left in the game.
- Robinson and fellow freshman Armond Griebe led the Trojans with 13 points each. Griebe also added eight boards to lead UMO.
- Freshman Tyler Thomas poured in 12 to aid Mount Olive.
- Juniors DeAndre Barber and Tayon Gleaves each tallied four assists on the night with Barber adding a trio of steals.
- St. Augustine's was led by Quincy January, who recorded a double-double with 21 points and 17 rebounds.
- UMO was outshot by SAU, 43.3% to 29%, from the field.
- UMO's Gleaves and Robinson were named to the Pickle Classic All-Tournament team, as were SAU's January and Anthony Gaskins.
Mount Olive hits the road for its first true road game of the season as the Trojans open Conference Carolinas play at Emmanuel on Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m. in Franklin Springs, Georgia.