Wilson, N.C. – In its season-opener, the University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to No. 18 Augusta University 82-67 on Friday evening in the first night of action in the 45-Second Classic hosted by Barton College.
Score: No. 18 Augusta 82, Mount Olive 67
Location: Wilson Gymnasium, Wilson, N.C.
How It Happened
- Augusta opened up a 9-2 lead as the Trojans struggled to defend the paint.
- The story of the first half for UMO was its three-point shooting, as the Trojans shot 40% (6-15) from deep in the first 20 minutes.
- A 12-foot jumper by junior Emmanuel Patton and strong defense by UMO on the final possession sent Mount Olive to the halftime locker room trailing by just six at 41-35.
- Out of the break, the Jaguars sprinted out to 14-point lead forcing a Trojan timeout just shy of five minutes into the half.
- With Augusta's starting five on the floor, UMO was able to assemble a 17-4 run to cut the Jaguars' lead to just 65-61.
- Despite cutting into Augusta's advantage, the Trojans could not push any closer as the Jaguars responded with a 17-4 run of their own to end the game.
- Freshman Cameron Robinson and sophomore Dedric Byrd led the Trojans with 12 points each.
- Just missing a double-double, freshman Saiquan Jamison tallied nine points and nine boards in 16 minutes of play.
- Mount Olive was outrebounded by the Jaguars, 40-33.
- Augusta's Keshun Sherrill led all scorers with 22 points, while Deane Williams recorded a double-double with 16 points and 14 rebounds.
Mount Olive continues play in the 45-Second Classic on Saturday morning when the Trojans take on Young Harris College at 11 a.m. in Wilson, N.C.