Wilmington, N.C. – In its lone exhibition contest of the season, the University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to NCAA Division I UNCW 117-65 on Sunday afternoon.
Score: UNCW 117, Mount Olive 65
Location: Trask Coliseum, Wilmington, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks opened the contest with an 8-0 run capped off by a fast-break layup by UNCW's CJ Price that prompted a Trojan timeout.
- UMO was able to get to the charity stripe nine times in the first half, hitting six free throws.
- Stifling defense by UNCW prevented UMO from finding any rhythm offensively, as the Trojans shot just 24% (8-33) from the field in the first 20 minutes.
- Out of the break, the Seahawks scored the first 13 points to increase their lead over the Trojans to 41 points.
- UMO showed resiliency as the Trojans responded with an 11-2 run beginning with 14:32 left in the second half and highlighted by a three-pointer by sophomore Dedric Byrd that cut the deficit to 38.
- Mount Olive showed its endurance late in the second half as a jumper by Byrd spurred a 6-0 run for the Trojans capped off by a fast-break layup by freshman Cameron Robinson.
- Offensively, UMO showed great improvement in the second half, shooting 55% (18-33) from the field.
- Byrd and redshirt freshman Armond Griebe each poured in 15 points in their Trojan debuts.
- Freshman Saiquan Jamison grabbed seven boards in 16 minutes to lead UMO.
- Stuffing the stat sheet, junior Tayon Gleaves tallied 10 points while recording five steals, three assists, and three rebounds in a team-high 35 minutes of action.
Mount Olive opens the regular season with a pair of contests in the 45-second Classic in Wilson, North Carolina. The Trojans open the classic on Friday with a 5:30 p.m. showdown with Augusta University before facing Young Harris College on Saturday.