HICKORY, N.C. --- In the series opener the No. 23 University of Mount Olive Trojans topped the Lenoir-Rhyne University Bears in Hickory, N.C.
Game 1: Mount Olive 16, Lenoir-Rhyne 2
Game 2: Mount Olive 7, Lenoir-Rhyne 3
Records: Mount Olive (5-1) Lenoir-Rhyne (1-5)
Location: Bears Field, Hickory, N.C.
- Mount Olive jumped into the scorebook first in the top of the second on a Blake McLean RBI-single to left and UMO led 1-0.
- Joe Mason added another run for the Trojans in the third with an RBI-single to left.
- The fourth, fifth, and sixth innings proved to be fruitful for Mount Olive as the Trojans scored four runs in each inning to jump out to a 14-1 advantage.
- In the fourth UMO showed their patience working out five walks to force home four runs.
- The fifth inning offensive outburst was all thanks to RBI base hits from Zack Smith, JT Stone, and Jett Swetland that plated the next four runs for the Trojans.
- A three-run home run by Smith and a sacrifice fly by Swetland were the scoring producers for Mount in the 6th.
- Lenior-Rhyne scored runs in the fifth and sixth but that was all the offense Mount Olive allowed as the Trojans pushed home two more runs in the ninth to seal the win.
- Mount Olive did not let the bats cool off in game two as the first two Trojans reached in the top of the first and Mason cleared the bases with an RBI-double to right to give UMO a 2-0 lead.
- The scoring was not done as Coy Barnett, Mclean, and Gore all plated runs for the Trojans as four runs came home and the advantage grew to 6-0 after the top of the first.
- The Bears this time around scored immediately after but only two runners touched home plate and the score moved to 6-2.
- LRU came back to within three after a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the second.
- As in game one, the Trojans had the final say in runs scored as Mount Olive added an insurance run off an LRU error in the fifth and set down the final six Bears in order.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Reed Parris (2-0) picked up the win in game one going six complete innings allowing two runs, off eight hits and two strikeouts.
- Zack Smith led the Trojans going 2-for-5 from the plate with five RBI, a home run, and three runs scored.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Caleb Bishop (1-0) got the win going six complete allowing three runs off three hits and struck out six.
- McLean finished with a team-high three hits and Mason and Hunter Gore led the team with two RBI.
Mount Olive will conclude the three-game series against the Bears tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Hickory, N.C.